Rip's Domain

Geek Week Update: Day 1

Posted in CFWheels, ColdFusion, Uncategorized by rip747 on May 9, 2009

So how is it going so far? HORRIBLE!

Well first off, I updated my cygwin install with the latest version of git and subervion-perl a couple of weeks ago and when I went to rebase with the CFWheels repo, it would die. Only one commit at a time would be pulled down and then errors all over the place. After searching on google I found out that this is a known problem with the latest subversion-perl so I had to downgrade. That took me about an hour to figure out. I could have applied a patch to the version that I had already installed, but I wasn’t in the mood to be jerking around like that and I figured I’d leave that stuff to the experts.

After that I was finally able to sync with the svn repo and get everything up and running.

With my confidence in the toliet, I started writing tests and finding bugs that needed to be fixed. When I found my first bug, I decided to use trusty old tortoisesvn  to write the patch and get it into trunk since I had local checkout already. That went well, but it wasn’t the best way to do it. I should be using git and git-svn to do this stuff and by using tortise I had to litterally duplicate the patch that I already had in git. NOT SMART!

Anyhow, I continued coding and soon found another bug that needed some attention. “WHAT LUCK!” I thought because now I could submit the patch through git-svn like I should have been doing all along. BIG MISTAKE! Let’s just say that I fought with this for almost two hours, because I kept screwing up the workflow left and right and having to git reset –hard. Thank God that stackoverflow.com exists and after reading carefully, the solution that I found, and some playing around, I finally got the workflow down and was able to commit the patch.

All and all, I’m having a rough time. Maybe I’m just off my game today since I have a lot of other things in my head right now and my mental state isn’t in sync. No matter, tomorrow is another day and more coding.

Tomorrow I’m planning on completing the creation of a test database so that I can test out all the functions that depend on models and cleanning up the tests.

About the tests. Right now, the way I’m writing tests, I’ll have more then one assert in each test. From what I’ve seen and researched how other people write tests, this is the wrong way. You should have one assert for each test. After writing a bunch of them, this makes sense. Reason being is because if you have 5 asserts in one test and one of the asserts fails, the whole test fails. Now currently this isn’t a problem because I know it’s the last assert I wrote that failed. However, down the road I can see this becoming a problem when we’re trying to figure out where the test is failing. It’s not like I want the rest of the team to be commenting out asserts until they find the one thats failing. I come to the conclusion at this point that I’m going to have to rewrite all the tests I’ve created into this new format. Oh well it’s what learning is all about and the reason I love doing open source stuff.

I’ll update again tomorrow.

One Response

Subscribe to comments with RSS.

  1. […] 10, 2009 Today was WAAAAY more productive then yesterday, way more, even though I went to bed at 6:30am this morning. I had to finish a project for a client […]


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: